Overview Of The Buying Process
House buying is more complicated than many people expect. Here’s an overview from Luke on the steps involved for a typical BC home purchase.
1. Ensure you’re ready to buy
You will need:
- Mortgage approval from a lender or financial institution.
- A downpayment available. (The percentage you will need depends on your mortgage approval.)
2. Find your home
There are property listings on this site, presented by Luke Mori and other REALTORS®.
Another comprehensive option is the realtor.ca website, which has even more listings in the area.
Can’t find what you are looking for? You can speak with Luke and discuss many options for finding your next home.
3. Make an offer
Luke will walk you through the process, including all the things to consider in making an offer:
- Do you need offer conditions, such as a period of time to get approved financing?
- Is a home inspection required?
- Are there any specifics or extras you want included in the purchase?
If you are a first time buyer, there may also be money saving opportunities that Luke can advise you on.
4. Legal work
Once you have an offer accepted, there are legal steps that will require a lawyer. They include:
- Handling legal documents and title transfer
- Land transfer tax that may be payable on possession day
- GST applicability
- Handling your deposit
5. Taking possession
On the day of possession, you will:
- Meet with your lawyer
- Sign the legal documents
- Forward funds for deposit
- Sign your mortgage commitment documents
and… get the keys to your new home!
Luke can guide you through the whole process. He has helped many first time buyers and experienced buyers alike in finding their Nelson and Kootenay home.
Here are a few links to assist you.
- First Time Buyer’s Guide – http://www.remax-western.ca/first-time-buyers-guide
- Condo Buyer’s Guide – http://www.remax-western.ca/condo-buyers-guide
- Before Writing an Offer – http://www.remax-western.ca/writing-offer
- Mortgage Calculators – http://www.remax-western.ca/calculators
- RE/MAX Space Planner – http://www.remax-western.ca/remax-space-planner
- RE/MAX Advantage – http://www.remax-western.ca/remax-advantage
- 6 Mistakes Buyers Make – http://www.remax-western.ca/6-mistakes-buyers-make
- Real Estate Glossary – http://www.remax-western.ca/real-estate-glossary
Contact Luke with any questions, or to get advice on your next step.
"Luke was amazing to work with and a true professional! We were first time home buyers purchasing vacant land so we had a lot of requests that needed to be met. He was organized, efficient, honest and always available to answer questions! He even helped us with inquiries to utility companies, lawyers, other realtors, etc. We had several issues arise(through no fault of our own or Luke’s) but Luke had excellent communication throughout and we are very happy with how things turned out in the end. It is refreshing to deal with someone that is so knowledgeable in the industry and has such a go-getter attitude. I strongly believe he is the #1 realtor in the Kootenays and will be recommending him to everyone!!!"
- Stephanie M., successful home buyer
5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms
Offered at $1,549,000
5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
Offered at $1,095,000
2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Offered at $1,075,000
Nelson Real Estate News
Aug 23rd, 2018
Home sales were just below the all-time record for July, set 11 years ago. More »