Overview Of The Buying Process
House buying is more complicated than many people expect. Here’s an overview from Luke on the steps involved for a typical BC home purchase.
1. Ensure you’re ready to buy
You will need:
- Mortgage approval from a lender or financial institution.
- A downpayment available. (The percentage you will need depends on your mortgage approval.)
2. Find your home
There are property listings on this site, presented by Luke Mori and other REALTORS®.
Another comprehensive option is the realtor.ca website, which has even more listings in the area.
Can’t find what you are looking for? You can speak with Luke and discuss many options for finding your next home.
3. Make an offer
Luke will walk you through the process, including all the things to consider in making an offer:
- Do you need offer conditions, such as a period of time to get approved financing?
- Is a home inspection required?
- Are there any specifics or extras you want included in the purchase?
If you are a first time buyer, there may also be money saving opportunities that Luke can advise you on.
4. Legal work
Once you have an offer accepted, there are legal steps that will require a lawyer. They include:
- Handling legal documents and title transfer
- Land transfer tax that may be payable on possession day
- GST applicability
- Handling your deposit
5. Taking possession
On the day of possession, you will:
- Meet with your lawyer
- Sign the legal documents
- Forward funds for deposit
- Sign your mortgage commitment documents
and… get the keys to your new home!
Luke can guide you through the whole process. He has helped many first time buyers and experienced buyers alike in finding their Nelson and Kootenay home.
Here are a few links to assist you.
- First Time Buyer’s Guide – http://www.remax-western.ca/first-time-buyers-guide
- Condo Buyer’s Guide – http://www.remax-western.ca/condo-buyers-guide
- Before Writing an Offer – http://www.remax-western.ca/writing-offer
- Mortgage Calculators – http://www.remax-western.ca/calculators
- RE/MAX Space Planner – http://www.remax-western.ca/remax-space-planner
- RE/MAX Advantage – http://www.remax-western.ca/remax-advantage
- 6 Mistakes Buyers Make – http://www.remax-western.ca/6-mistakes-buyers-make
- Real Estate Glossary – http://www.remax-western.ca/real-estate-glossary
Contact Luke with any questions, or to get advice on your next step.
"Luke is a tenacious, persistant, determined individual, traits that serve him well when he has to be focused on guiding you through the real estate process which can be quite overwhelming at times. Luke has the endurance and stamina for this line of work and all the while he has this soothing and calming demeanour that doesn't allow him to rub you the wrong way, no matter how frustrating things may get. We can only recommend him to any/all potential future clients. You wont be disappointed. Many thanks Luke for the dedication and patience you applied to our experience."
- Ron C, successful home buyer, 2017
7 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
Offered at $1,599,000
4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Offered at $475,000
Nelson Real Estate News
Aug 23rd, 2018
Home sales were just below the all-time record for July, set 11 years ago. More »