Overview Of The Buying Process
House buying is more complicated than many people expect. Here’s an overview from Luke on the steps involved for a typical BC home purchase.
1. Ensure you’re ready to buy
You will need:
- Mortgage approval from a lender or financial institution.
- A downpayment available. (The percentage you will need depends on your mortgage approval.)
2. Find your home
There are property listings on this site, presented by Luke Mori and other REALTORS®.
Another comprehensive option is the realtor.ca website, which has even more listings in the area.
Can’t find what you are looking for? You can speak with Luke and discuss many options for finding your next home.
3. Make an offer
Luke will walk you through the process, including all the things to consider in making an offer:
- Do you need offer conditions, such as a period of time to get approved financing?
- Is a home inspection required?
- Are there any specifics or extras you want included in the purchase?
If you are a first time buyer, there may also be money saving opportunities that Luke can advise you on.
4. Legal work
Once you have an offer accepted, there are legal steps that will require a lawyer. They include:
- Handling legal documents and title transfer
- Land transfer tax that may be payable on possession day
- GST applicability
- Handling your deposit
5. Taking possession
On the day of possession, you will:
- Meet with your lawyer
- Sign the legal documents
- Forward funds for deposit
- Sign your mortgage commitment documents
and… get the keys to your new home!
Luke can guide you through the whole process. He has helped many first time buyers and experienced buyers alike in finding their Nelson and Kootenay home.
Here are a few links to assist you.
- First Time Buyer’s Guide – http://www.remax-western.ca/first-time-buyers-guide
- Condo Buyer’s Guide – http://www.remax-western.ca/condo-buyers-guide
- Before Writing an Offer – http://www.remax-western.ca/writing-offer
- Mortgage Calculators – http://www.remax-western.ca/calculators
- RE/MAX Space Planner – http://www.remax-western.ca/remax-space-planner
- RE/MAX Advantage – http://www.remax-western.ca/remax-advantage
- 6 Mistakes Buyers Make – http://www.remax-western.ca/6-mistakes-buyers-make
- Real Estate Glossary – http://www.remax-western.ca/real-estate-glossary
Contact Luke with any questions, or to get advice on your next step.
"Luke, you were awesome! What ever question we had for you, you always answered. Your professionalism was great, your enthusiasm was astounding! When we are ready to sell our home we will call you first, and we will without hesitation recommend you to anyone who needs a real estate agent to buy or sell. Thanks for helping us find our dream home!"
- Adam Baker, successful home buyer, May 2016
Offered at $3,250,000
7 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
Offered at $1,750,000
6 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms
Offered at $1,650,000
Nelson Real Estate News
Oct 12th, 2016
The BC provincial government is in the early exploratory stages of moving the ferry terminal from Balfour to Queens Bay. More »
Oct 4th, 2016
The housing market heated up in 2016, and analysts say that Albertans moving west is one of the factors. More »